So what caused the rise of fake nightcores?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
HKO2006

Re: So what caused the rise of fake nightcores?

Post by HKO2006 » June 10th, 2014, 12:57 pm

LonelyLittleAngel wrote:I heard something that people are starting to use vocaloid as nightcore which is very repugnant they do not know how to nightcore correctly and what genre to use.
Vocaloid is not a genre, just a source of vocal. But I guess you mean jpop and rock, consider most Vocaloid songs are jpop and rock.

Original

Hands up 145 BPM (official https://soundcloud.com/silvertune-produ ... test-entry

Nightcore 178.34 BPM

Edited out outro 174 BPM

So songs used Vocaloid are not necessarily bad to be nightcore.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » June 10th, 2014, 3:26 pm

hko2006 wrote:How the meaning of trademarks weaken overtime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVy_QCa1RQ?t=2m36s
Great video. Saw the whole thing. My favorite part was the part where he talks about Asprin because a similar thing is happening with nightcore, both are becoming generecized.

Today, it seems like any drug, regardless of shape, form, chemical makeup, etc is being called asprin. The Youtube comments list some more good examples. Any type of bandage is called a band-aid. Any flying disk toy is called a Frisbee.

I also heard that in the UK, any type of vacuum is called a Hoover. In the USA, any type of ice pop is called a Popsicle.

Likewise, people these days are calling any sped up song nightcore.

But then again, can something like "nightcore" be trademarked? Can the original Nightcore group send cease and desist letters to the fake nightcore uploaders?
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » June 10th, 2014, 4:02 pm

The difference here, is that Nightcore has a fanbase. The only fanbase these producs have, are the ones making (or with losing their trademark, losing) money off of it.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
MagicScream

Post by MagicScream » June 10th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Somewhat relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFhM1CoyP7Q

There are plenty of names that fake nightcore uploaders could use instead of "nightcore" that still have a nice ring to them.
Namahage

Post by Namahage » June 11th, 2014, 5:49 am

I've seen that there are "fake nightcores" posted on NU in 2010/2011 that go unchecked. Was it less of a problem back then?
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » July 26th, 2014, 10:59 am

As I've said earlier in this thread (and HKO2006 in another thread), a lot of people may see nightcore as a speed up of any song because they don't treat it as a genre.

The criticism section in the What is Nightcore thread does a good job of breaking down why people don't see nightcore as a genre. Common arguments include that it's immoral or that it doesn't take much skill to make. The criticism section does a good job countering these arguments.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
MagicScream

Post by MagicScream » September 3rd, 2014, 6:15 pm

Well, sorry for bumping this dead thread. I was browsing through nightcore-related posts on other forums, websites, Youtube comments, etc out of boredom but I felt the need to report my findings.

I agree with what Fernandez and Hko2006 has been saying, many people see nightcore as only a meme/audio effect/simple action like Alvin and the Chipmunks (or chipmunking).

Some of the posts gave a reason on why the poster doesn't see nightcore as a genre. The most common reason I saw goes along the lines of "Nightcore is just speeding up a song. I could do that in 5 minutes. It's lazy and uncreative."

I thought I'd try to counter this argument as well. My rebuttal is below:

Many genres (especially in EDM) got their start from a simple edit (i.e. speed up, slow down, etc). For example there is a genre called moombahton. The genre was created by simply slowing down Afrojack's remix of Silvio Ecomo and Chuckie's song "Moombah."

Heck, look at rock and roll during the 1950's (when there were no computers, internet, or nightcore). One could say that rock and roll was originally sped up blues.
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » September 3rd, 2014, 7:45 pm

Request to lock the thread please.
sorry quotes from me are illegal in other people's signatures sry
Jumpcore thats what the bass is for.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » September 3rd, 2014, 7:50 pm

LonelyLittleAngel wrote:Request to lock the thread please.
Why, I would like more input like Fernandez and MagicScream's and I may reply too in the future.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » September 3rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

Then request to unlock when you really. I mean REALLY need to post on this thread.
Vitacx97

Post by Vitacx97 » January 8th, 2015, 4:45 am

Topic unlocked as I don't see why it was locked in the first place.
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » January 8th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Vitacx97 wrote:Topic unlocked as I don't see why it was locked in the first place.
Hundreds of topics with the same theme already...but yeah, if people want to talk about it, go on.
Namahage

Post by Namahage » January 9th, 2015, 2:46 am

Not sure if this question is considered off-topic, but has anyone ever actually gotten banned for posting fake nightcore on NU?

I'm just wondering. I'm not trying to find loopholes around the rules or anything like that.
The media acting as the eyes of the society ought to practice its role with the highest journalistic ethics possible; feeding the society with information of unquestionable source to perpetuate the credibility and the moral obligation bestowed to it.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » January 9th, 2015, 5:26 am

Unless it's intentionally done to provoke, most likely not. We'd rather educate people than kick them off the site :)
Kestrel0907

Post by Kestrel0907 » January 9th, 2015, 9:47 am

emilemil1 wrote:Unless it's intentionally done to provoke, most likely not. We'd rather educate people than kick them off the site :)
Exactly.
There were lots of members who's done this in the past, quite a lot actually, and let's say they suffered the consequences of their actions.
At a certain time we were very strict about this rule, for example the fake Nightcores were deleted because they were called actual Nightcores, but now things seem to go in the good way, wich is exactly what's needed. :P
Namahage

Post by Namahage » January 10th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Oh, okay.

Also, here's something I noticed.

In the Something That Seriously Needs To Be Changed Around Here thread, I saw a post by Maikel saying that it was all better in 2008/2009. I wanted to see what nightcore was like back then, so I searched nightcore on Google using custom date range.

For "from", I used the format 1/1/XXXX and for "to", I used the format 12/31/XXXX. XXXX represents the year.

I did this with 2008 and 2009, and the nightcores pretty much followed the guidelines for the most part.

But once I did this with 2010, bam, suddenly the results were filled with fake nightcores. So, I think the fake nightcore rise may have started in 2010, not 2011 like the Know Your Meme page says.

Maybe there's something about the start of this decade that helped cause the rise of all the fake nightcores out there, but I'm not sure.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » January 11th, 2015, 4:16 am

The date when it started is most likely completely random :P
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » January 11th, 2015, 6:55 am

Also, a lot of channels from the early days have been deleted. Around 2008-2010 there might have been a lot more channels uploading Nightcore than you can see now if you search.

Fake Nightcore probably wasn't as popular as the 2011 example that was given, which was growing a whole lot faster than the other uploads from around that time.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
Orange Juice Jones

Post by Orange Juice Jones » January 14th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I'm sure that many of the fake nightcore uploaders are not trying to hurt anyone when they make or lable their videos that way. Everyone has different tastes, and naturally, everyone is going to gravitate towards their favorite genres.

I think making fake nightcore a bannable offense here is a bit overkill. I don't think that was what the OP of this thread wanted either.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should get banned or punished over this, either.
I think that just making uploaders give users a heads up that this link is fake nightcore will suffice (For example: "Nightcore - Song (Rock)", so that people who want the old generation nightcore won't be mislead.
Tennessee Titans

Post by Tennessee Titans » February 11th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Apparently, this issue is now so big that it even made its way onto TV Tropes. Check out what someone wrote under the Music section of the "Common Knowledge" article (which lists various misconceptions in pop culture).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nKnowledge
Below is the quote from the TV Tropes article. It's better read on TV Tropes in its original formatting, with the bold text and hyperlinks.
A TV Tropes user wrote:Everybody knows if you speed up a song and change the pitch it becomes a Nightcore song. Except it doesn't. Nightcore is a Norwergian band that made songs very close to the Happy Hardcore genre. It's also became a term for speeding up slow dance/techno/trance songs and turn them into much faster and upbeat "nightcore versions". But thanks to Youtube, people started misusing the term on video titles and giving the false idea that ANY RANDOM SONG "becomes Nightcore" if sped up (If you speed up a rock song, it's still a rock song, nothing related to nightcore). This is one of the worst cases of Common Knowledge, in fact, This Very Wiki' Nightcore page is misinformed.
The Tennessee Titans are a professional American football team based in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. They are members of the South Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL).

http://www.titansonline.com/
LonelyLittleAngel
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by LonelyLittleAngel » February 12th, 2015, 9:16 am

@Vincitax, This discussion was locked for its stupidity, and spam by magic. If the spam dosen't happen again then it will be okay, but i still dont agree with you unlocking it.