Nightcore that is not Dance/Trance/techno?

For Nightcore discussion in general.
Nightcore Promotion

Nightcore that is not Dance/Trance/techno?

Post by Nightcore Promotion » December 3rd, 2014, 2:55 pm

Hey guys!
I just recently got into nightcore, but I when I found out that the only genres that are "allowed" to be nightcored is Dance, Trance and Techno (and some other small genres) I kinda got disappointed...

I love how the song is sped up, and I find the high pitch vocals very pleasant to listen to.
So I started to nightcore some of my favorite songs, without knowing that there was a set rule about the genres.
I posted some of them here on the forum, and quickly got told that this is NOT nightcore!

My first experience with nightcore was these three songs, which are NOT Dance/Trance/techno
Nightcore - This little girl / This is a very popular song, and the original is made by Cady Groves. This is a POP song!
Nightcore - Angel with a shotgun / Also very popular, and the original is made by The Cab, This is a ROCK song!
Nightcore - Make a move / very popular, original made by Icon for Hire, This is also a ROCK song!

Whats your opinion on Nightcore that is not Dance/Trance/Techno?
(Sorry for any wrong grammar, English is my second language)
HFUNightcore

Re: Nightcore that is not Dance/Trance/techno?

Post by HFUNightcore » December 3rd, 2014, 3:41 pm

Well technically not even subgenres that are in the Dance/Trance/Techno range have to be originial nightcore. The reason I think that is because the original nightcore group released only songs that sounds eurotrance-ish or like hands up from the early 2000's. Nightcore - Caliente One of their albums compare how they sound with the nightcore that are Dance/Trance/techno from youtube. The reason I say that is because many nightcores on youtube that are trance or hands up sound still different from the ones they did. But maybe they were just finding unique songs dunno. But at least the goal to mimic them was done pretty succesfully just look at all these great nightcore hits for example Nightcore - Castle In The Sky which Im 100% sure its not by the original nightcore group. The song is italodance btw.

Well but nvm that its just my point of view at nightcore. I dont even blame you that you couldnt know what nightcore is I mean I didnt care about that when I found Nightcore at the beginning too. I just cared if it sound good or not. Just listen to what you like I mean its you who decides what music you want to enjoy... You get my point. For me personally I recommend every Nightcore newcomer and/or fan to listen all the classic original nightcore songs ofc one of them is castle in the sky. I call them classic because they are so popular. I must say songs like angel with a shotgun are also classics though and see even that its not original nightcore it sounds good as hell.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » December 3rd, 2014, 3:46 pm

I tried to collect as many nightcore classic songs I could find I think I put in some rock nightcore songs aswell. Im missing probably a ton of songs but its at least something https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jZ462krTBr
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » December 3rd, 2014, 5:02 pm

I feel like it should be the overall sound that determines whether or not a song is nightcore, not the genre that was sped up.

If a house or pop nightcore sounds like a song made by the original group, I don't see why it can't be nightcore. As HFU touched upon in his post, there are many techno/trance/dance nightcores that sound different from the original group's nightcore.

I actually see this relatively often. Nightcore X is a pop song. Nightcore Y is a eurotrance song. However, Nightcore X sounds more like an original Nightcore group song than Nightcore Y.

If the uploader wanted to post his songs here, under the current policy, Nightcore X would violate the rules, while Nightcore Y wouldn't. Why? Simply because Nightcore X is a pop song. That's despite the fact that Nightcore X sounds more like an original Nightcore song.

And if I saw that scenario happen, I definitely would feel that the mods should let Nightcore X pass since even though it may not be from a techno/trance genre, its sound has enough similarities to an original Nightcore song's sound.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of mainstream songs nowadays are incorporating techno/eurodance/EDM elements into their sounds/music.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » December 3rd, 2014, 5:21 pm

I like some, though they're fairly few. Rock in particular is for me especially hard to appreciate (I've tried to make it work before, but not really had any success >.<) due to how unnatural guitars tend to sound after being sped up. It's not always the case, but usually.
Well technically not even subgenres that are in the Dance/Trance/Techno range have to be originial nightcore.
Yup, today the original tracks are more guidelines than anything, since there are practically no producers left of that old eurotrance style. The number of genres/sounds that can become Nightcore today is far higher than what it used to be, so it's only natural to assume that even more will be included in the future as the music industry evolves and different styles gets mixed together.

If we limited ourselves to the original-original definition we would have practically nothing to upload :P Sad but true.
If a house or pop nightcore sounds like a song made by the original group, I don't see why it can't be nightcore.
That's basically the view today. It's no longer a clear cut "is this Nightcore, yes or no?", but rather a "how close to Nightcore is this?".

So then who decides whether something can be given the Nightcore tag? Well... no one, since we all have a different idea of what sounds like the originals and what doesn't. All you really have to do is ask yourself if you personally think that it sounds like Nightcore, and if it does, then it's Nightcore. As long as you have that mindset you're (at least in my opinion) doing everything right. What's wrong is if you don't think it sounds like the original Nightcore tracks, but still tag it as Nightcore simply because it's sped up.
HFUNightcore

Post by HFUNightcore » December 4th, 2014, 1:24 pm

emilemil1 wrote:I like some, though they're fairly few. Rock in particular is for me especially hard to appreciate (I've tried to make it work before, but not really had any success >.<) due to how unnatural guitars tend to sound after being sped up. It's not always the case, but usually.
Well technically not even subgenres that are in the Dance/Trance/Techno range have to be originial nightcore.
Yup, today the original tracks are more guidelines than anything, since there are practically no producers left of that old eurotrance style. The number of genres/sounds that can become Nightcore today is far higher than what it used to be, so it's only natural to assume that even more will be included in the future as the music industry evolves and different styles gets mixed together.

If we limited ourselves to the original-original definition we would have practically nothing to upload :P Sad but true.
If a house or pop nightcore sounds like a song made by the original group, I don't see why it can't be nightcore.
That's basically the view today. It's no longer a clear cut "is this Nightcore, yes or no?", but rather a "how close to Nightcore is this?".

So then who decides whether something can be given the Nightcore tag? Well... no one, since we all have a different idea of what sounds like the originals and what doesn't. All you really have to do is ask yourself if you personally think that it sounds like Nightcore, and if it does, then it's Nightcore. As long as you have that mindset you're (at least in my opinion) doing everything right. What's wrong is if you don't think it sounds like the original Nightcore tracks, but still tag it as Nightcore simply because it's sped up.
exactly there are songs that are just meant to be nightcored and there are songs that sound bad nightcored. Nightcore should be all about how much can you mimic the original nightcore group and how good does it sound.
Watch4FallingRock

Post by Watch4FallingRock » December 10th, 2014, 8:44 pm

I also think that we should try to stop using the sentence "It's not nightcore." because, as I said before, the overall sound should be the most important factor, not the genre sped up. If we absolutely have to use it, then it should be a last resort kind of thing.

I'm not saying we should completely scrap the original definition of nightcore, but it would be nice if the definition allowed for some leeway at this day and age. Perhaps a more broad definition of nightcore such as "A form of music with high pitched vocals and fast paced electronic beats" would be better, since it would create more of a balance. The conservatives will still get their "original nightcore feel" while the liberals would have more freedom when it comes to choosing songs and genres to nightcore.
emilemil1 wrote: If we limited ourselves to the original-original definition we would have practically nothing to upload :P Sad but true.
This is true for any music genre. Naturally, music and sounds are going to change over time. If a genre wants to survive, it has to allow itself to adapt and change, otherwise, it will become more and more difficult to produce new material that fits with said genre.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » December 10th, 2014, 9:02 pm

No definition can both preserve the "original nightcore feel" while also allowing for more freedom, those are two completely opposing goals. Your definition would for example allow any sped up electronic song to be called Nightcore, yet not nearly all sped up electronic songs will sound like original Nightcore.

No solution involving a change of definition will ever please both sides.