Nightcore video titles (naming scheme)

For Nightcore discussion in general.
HKO2006

Nightcore video titles (naming scheme)

Post by HKO2006 » July 3rd, 2015, 10:47 am

I recently reconsider the video title format I should use, then Vitacx asked the same question, I think a thread is good.

The most popular one is undoubtedly Nightcore - song name, originated from Nightcore, and Maikel631 followed.
Good: simple, everyone does
Bad: no any info given except song name

Artist - song name (remix) (nightcore mix)
This format is notable for originated from osu! mappers, the biggest names of nightcore song mappers are andrea1992wr and ztrot.
Good: Credit given
Bad: Artist - song name (remix) can be too long that (nightcore mix) can't be seen when shown in the video grind

Nightcore - song name [artist]
Nightcore - song name [artist] (remix) OR Nightcore - song name (remix) [artist]
And [style] if the title isn't too long like Nightcore - song name [artist] [style]
Good: Credit given while remain the 'Nightcore -' tradition <- not too sure if this is good tho
Bad: more info, more likely they won't be shown in video grind

[Nightcore] Artist - song name (remix)
Nightcore | Artist - song name (remix)
Basically the last format but have nightcore in blanket instead
Good: Nightcore at the beginning (tradition) and artists shown
Bad: again, more info, more likely they won't be shown in video grind AND viewer's habit of got used to having song name after Nightcore - when they see Nightcore at the beginning (and this is usually how they search).

Artist - song name (remix) (uploader remix)
what http://di.fm/nightcore currently using.
sometimes Artist - song name (remix) (uploader remix) (HKO2006 remaster)
I personally prefer using edit over remix but nvm

SEO wise, I don't know which one is better, goals:
maximize exposure/views
give additional info if available/needed, eg you are using a remix of a popular song, you wish to add (remix) in title so people would know it is a remix/which remix it is

Currently I am using Nightcore - song name [artist] (remix), 99% others stick with Nightcore - song name.
Last edited by HKO2006 on August 9th, 2015, 7:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

ShadowCore89

Re: Nightcore video titles

Post by ShadowCore89 » July 3rd, 2015, 11:57 am

very informative, I do the option of adding nightcore first so viewers will know right off the bat that the video they are pressing is a nightcore mix and not the original I also add if the said song is a remix and the original artist, it is annoying at times to just see a title such as (EXAMPLE, nightcore- take me on.) I always include any information of the source I got the music from as well as adding links to the original artist in my description.
Tranceformer

Post by Tranceformer » July 3rd, 2015, 1:13 pm

I include the title always in my video thumbnails if it is possible.
Artist
Title (Mix/Edit)
(NCTF Nightcore Edit)

But I fi should write it in the Title of the Video I would Prefer this:
Artist - Title (Mix/Edit (NCTF Nightcore Edit))

But mostly this would be too long, so i use the classic version.

I also prefer Edit instead of Remix, 'cause when you nightcoe a track you don't Remix it. You only change (edit) the speed and the pitch of the whole track.
You can call it a kind of mix, but Nightcore is never a real Remix.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » July 3rd, 2015, 5:57 pm

"Nightcore - Song Name (Remix)" is quite good. It avoids the most common issue, which is that many songs have countless remixes and can easily be mixed up, and it makes it very easy to see right away that it is a Nightcore. The problem that still exists is that there sometimes can be multiple songs with the same name, either by coincidence or because one is a cover of the other.

I don't think there is a pretty way of incorporating both artist and remixer in that naming scheme, since it would often create massively long titles that are both ugly and may lead to parts of it being truncated by YouTube. Truncated titles obviously leads to lost information, so it sort of defeats the purpose of having a detailed description in the first place.
Zurd

Post by Zurd » July 4th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Nightcore - Song Name (Remix)
is what I use. It clearly lacks the artist name which is why I put right on the first line of the video description the whole title.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ntC2gwWn4
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » July 4th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Zurd wrote:Nightcore - Song Name (Remix)
is what I use. It clearly lacks the artist name which is why I put right on the first line of the video description the whole title.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ntC2gwWn4
I thought of using this one too, as when people searched Song Name (Remix), chances are they know the artists already and google is smart enough to show results with artists anyways. This brings me another factor in consideration, that people are more likely to know (and search) artist - song name than song name (remix). That's why I kept [artist].
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » July 4th, 2015, 6:48 pm

This brings me another factor in consideration, that people are more likely to know (and search) artist - song name than song name (remix). That's why I kept [artist].
If they know the artist already you don't have to display it in the title, because all search results will be for that artist already. It's the information they don't have that needs to be clearly shown.
Du5kEssence

Naming Nightcore

Post by Du5kEssence » July 6th, 2015, 6:01 pm

I have been a part of the electronic dance music community for some time and have gotten very used to the standard format for naming songs. When I discovered Nightcore however I got really confused. In almost every other electronic genre (be it trance, house, drum n' bass or dubstep) songs generally follow this naming structure:
Artist Name Feat. Vocalist - Song Name (Remixer/edit name here)

However Nightcore barely ever does this. Tracks are often labeled as:
Nightcore-Song Name
This not only discredits the artist and vocalist but also can be confusing to fans of any other electronic genre because it looks like the artist name is Nightcore. Even more confusingly sometimes in a effort to include the original artist name Nightcorers put the artist name in brackets after the song name like this:
Nightcore-Song Name (Artist Name)
Now to anyone who is a fan of another genre it looks like the artist name is Nightcore and the original artist is the remixer because it's in brackets.

In conclusion shouldn't Nightcore tracks be named as follows?:
Artist Name Feat. Vocalist - Song Name (Nightcore Edit)
Sorry this is really long and ranty by the way.
Vitacx97

Re: Naming Nightcore

Post by Vitacx97 » July 6th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Du5kEssence wrote:-snip-
Merged into HKO's topic as they're about the same thing.
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » July 6th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Du5kEssence wrote:I have been a part of the electronic dance music community for some time and have gotten very used to the standard format for naming songs. When I discovered Nightcore however I got really confused. In almost every other electronic genre (be it trance, house, drum n' bass or dubstep) songs generally follow this naming structure:
Artist Name Feat. Vocalist - Song Name (Remixer/edit name here)

However Nightcore barely ever does this. Tracks are often labeled as:
Nightcore-Song Name
This not only discredits the artist and vocalist but also can be confusing to fans of any other electronic genre because it looks like the artist name is Nightcore. Even more confusingly sometimes in a effort to include the original artist name Nightcorers put the artist name in brackets after the song name like this:
Nightcore-Song Name (Artist Name)
Now to anyone who is a fan of another genre it looks like the artist name is Nightcore and the original artist is the remixer because it's in brackets.

In conclusion shouldn't Nightcore tracks be named as follows?:
Artist Name Feat. Vocalist - Song Name (Nightcore Edit)
Sorry this is really long and ranty by the way.
I've seen it with trance though. Even Maikel uses the naming format. His trance uploads use the format Trance - Song Name.

He does, however, put the artist in the annotations.
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
Du5kEssence

Post by Du5kEssence » July 6th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Fernandez wrote: I've seen it with trance though. Even Maikel uses the naming format. His trance uploads use the format Trance - Song Name.

He does, however, put the artist in the annotations.
He's a mixed Nightcore trance channel though. Any trance artist I've ever seen has always used the naming structure I mentioned above on their original stuff. Channels not associated with Nightcore generally don't use the "genre-track name" naming structure. At the end of the day the genre isn't part of the track name and is only used as a way to find songs in that genre. It shouldn't be the first thing in the tittle IMO.
Raver

Post by Raver » July 6th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I didn't read any post other than the first one, so, I'm sorry if someone already posted something about what I'm gonna say.

I'd never put the artist name in my video names. Even though it would be nice and easy to have, the labels can easily find my video and give me a strike. The way I do is actually bad: I put the artist name in a comment. It's bad because they can track the song name by googling it (but not by youtube searching). Maikel's way is by far the best way: he puts the oriignal artist and version in an annotation, also he posts several links so people can support the artist and buy the music, and for that, he uses a link shortener tool, allowing no one to find the song by typping the artist name on youtube or google. So, it's way harder for him to get a strike, but he also helps the artist way more than if he would put the artist name just by handing easy links to commercial music sites.

Sorry for eventual typos and shit, I'm in a hurry so I can't fix anything right now.
We feel the rhythm like it is our heartbeat
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » July 6th, 2015, 8:37 pm

If your primary concern as a subscriber to a Trance/Nightcore channel is which of the two styles an upload is in, then writing "Trance - Song Name" makes more sense.
Maikel's way is by far the best way: he puts the oriignal artist and version in an annotation
"by far the best way" is arguable. A lot of people have annotations turned off, and they can't be displayed at all on mobile devices. Trading convenience away for security I guess.

Also, Maikel's popularity sort of defeats the purpose of doing this. You can simply write Nightcore - Song Name into Google and Maikel's videos will usually be among the first results.
Raver

Post by Raver » July 6th, 2015, 9:02 pm

It is the best because I think it's WAY more important to avoid a strike than giving the artist information. It might sound a bit asshole-ish, but that's how the labels ask for when giving strikes for no reason. They are the real assholes, and this discussion is sponsored by their stinginess. Maikel does a big undeserved favor by giving credit at all.

@Edit:

He modifies some of the video titles to avoid strikes, so it's not that easy for the labels to find them out. For example, Nightcore - Serenity, the actual song name is "Sweet Serenity", but you can't find maikel's upload at first glance when googling it:

He knows how to deal with asshole labels pretty well, so I believe what he does is the best of all.
We feel the rhythm like it is our heartbeat
Du5kEssence

Post by Du5kEssence » July 7th, 2015, 5:31 am

If you really want the genre name in the title I still don't get why Nightcore does this differently to every other genre. Why not:
Song Name (Nightcore Edit)
Or:
Song Name [Trance]
This shows the same structure of every other genre but still gives the genre name in the title. It's putting Nightcore before the song name which is the confusing part because it looks like the artist name.
HKO2006

Post by HKO2006 » July 7th, 2015, 9:18 am

Just thought up one more after reading Du5kEssence's replies
[Nightcore] Artist - song name (remix)
Nightcore | Artist - song name (remix)
Good: Nightcore at the beginning (tradition) and artists shown
Bad: again, more info, more likely they won't be shown in video grind

But I also concern the viewer's habits. 99% of the times when it is Nightcore at the beginning, it is followed by song name (and this is usually how they search). So I went with Nightcore - song name [artist] instead.
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Know Your Meme