Is Nightcore dying?

Post by Nightcore4eva » November 16th, 2015, 7:37 pm

What are your thoughts?
emilemil1

Re: Is Nightcore dying?

Post by emilemil1 » November 16th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Short: yes

Long:

It depends on how you look at it. On one hand there's relatively less true Nightcore being made today, but that is in part because the genres that can become true Nightcore, those used by the original group, are either dying as well or can be considered already long gone. The genres that remain (which sounds quite different now than back then) are actually very well covered by uploaders. I'd consider it a safe guess that a higher percentage of newly released tracks become Nightcore today than in the past.

From the angle that the word Nightcore no longer means to people what it used to mean, it's definitely looking pretty grim though.
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » November 17th, 2015, 3:35 am

I'm leaning the other way and saying no. If anything, I would say it's becoming more and more established.

I think the fact that the top search results on Youtube are taken by fake nightcore videos/channels is skewing everything and giving people the wrong impression on the state of nightcore. If you look past all those, then nightcore is still going strong. Furthermore, as I've mentioned in another thread, even professional artists and official record labels are getting into nightcore now. A few years ago, they probably would have written it off as a cheap speedup.

I would say one of nightcore's biggest challenges is adapting to the ever changing sounds of music. I too feel like a lot of the genres used by the original group are dying, and sound/music is constantly changing/evolving. The key here would be trying to adapt nightcore to today's sound while preserving the core aspects of the definition.

(Yes, it is possible. After all, we still use the term "rock music" even though today's rock sounds nothing like the rock heard during the 1950s and 1960s.)
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » November 17th, 2015, 9:19 am

The word Nightcore is becoming more established. The (correct) concept of Nightcore isn't ^^
Tranceformer

Post by Tranceformer » November 17th, 2015, 1:23 pm

If you say, the Genres we use as base for Nightcore, are dying, I would say no too to this.
'Cause I made the observation that EDm is coming popular again in here Germany (but it is Germany so...)
And toghether with House, Big Room and Hardstyle, there is also coming up much Hands Up and a bit less Trance (especially Uplifting/Vocal Trance (the Pop Trance)) again.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » November 17th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I don't think that observation applies to any country other than Germany :) All popularity charts show that the genres are steadily declining.
Nightcore4eva

Post by Nightcore4eva » November 17th, 2015, 6:19 pm

God you guys are lucky. Here in New Zealand our definition of EDM is Electro house (of which I am not a fan) dubstep, ands trap. As for nightcore, I don't think it's dying. I read somewhere that even the mainstream music industry is beginning to recognise nightcore.
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » November 17th, 2015, 7:06 pm

The North American media popularized "EDM" to specifically refer to the music played in clubs at that time, which happened to be Electro House. It actually just means Electronic Dance Music, which is like... almost all electronic genres there are.

I had never even heard anyone use the term EDM before it got synonymous with Electro House. All electronic genres were called Techno at that time xD

The problem with the industry recognizing Nightcore is that they are almost certainly recognizing the incorrect definition. That's not a good thing, since it could just mean the final nail in the coffin for the original meaning of the word. You know, exactly like how EDM came to mean Electro House just because media decided so.
Vitacx97

Post by Vitacx97 » November 18th, 2015, 1:08 am

Nightcore4eva wrote:God you guys are lucky. Here in New Zealand our definition of EDM is Electro house (of which I am not a fan) dubstep, ands trap.
Same in Australia. At-least we have S3RL, although he's slowly pulling away from oldschool hardcore to this new style that I really don't like.
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » November 18th, 2015, 5:01 pm

emilemil1 wrote:The problem with the industry recognizing Nightcore is that they are almost certainly recognizing the incorrect definition. That's not a good thing, since it could just mean the final nail in the coffin for the original meaning of the word. You know, exactly like how EDM came to mean Electro House just because media decided so.
But what about professional music industry people like Joel Kalsi from DCX or the record labels listed here who seem to know the correct definition of nightcore? Are they in the minority?
emilemil1

Post by emilemil1 » November 18th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Do they know the correct definition, or is it just a coincidence that they are into roughly the correct genres?

If memory serves, Joel has released a ton of Nightcore that isn't quite Nightcore.

I could be wrong here though :)
Nightcore4eva

Post by Nightcore4eva » November 18th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Vitacx97 wrote:
Nightcore4eva wrote:God you guys are lucky. Here in New Zealand our definition of EDM is Electro house (of which I am not a fan) dubstep, ands trap.
Same in Australia. At-least we have S3RL, although he's slowly pulling away from oldschool hardcore to this new style that I really don't like.
The same thing happened with Tiesto- he used to do GREAT trance, but jumped on the house bandwagon.
rsslayersr

Post by rsslayersr » January 16th, 2016, 7:47 am

From my point of view what keeping our Nightcore scene alive is mostly the right kind of fans.
We attract a certain gaming crowd
While the rest of the speed edits attract 13 year old girls squeeling for attention.

As long as playing long lasting games without a break is still a thing, Nightcore will still be listened to give that extra boost of energie.

I believe this discussion is a bit relevant.
http://www.nightcoreuniverse.net/viewto ... =17&t=4837
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » February 24th, 2016, 4:38 pm

After seeing the more recent thread about EDM dying, I would say that the decline of the correct genres may have contributed to the perceived decline in true nightcore. At least to me, it seems like the nightcore community on Youtube tends to gravitate towards whatever genres are currently popular, regardless of whether they're correct or not.

Like right now, people are nightcoring stuff like trap and house because those are the genres currently trending; they're the genres getting all the attention right now. Meanwhile, correct genres such as trance and hands up are on the decline...or at least they're nowhere near as popular as they were in the past.
joelkalsi

Post by joelkalsi » March 11th, 2016, 4:01 am

Hands up was popular in 2007 when nightcore started to gain more traction on Youtube, and it seems people are following the trends on this matter too, so there's sort of progress (or let's call it 'change'?) happening on the scene.

As emilemil1 pointed, I've been releasing a lot of stuff that isn't exactly nightcore per it's terms, but more like serving the broader current listener base with sped up songs. I don't see the trendy chillier styles (ie. tropical house) working that well in nightcore form, and wishing it was more about hands up and eurodance though (I may be biased because of the genres too), as that works way far the best when sped up.. imo :)