What is Nightcore?

For Nightcore discussion in general.

Re: What is Nightcore?

Postby Raver » November 13th, 2013, 12:09 am

SHassassin wrote:
Raver wrote:
SHassassin wrote:So what would you called the other songs that are called nightcore but are not really nightcore? Would it be happy hardcore?

http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1349

This doesn't really answer my questions. To be clear ,just in case you are not understanding, I understand the fact that a song that called nightcore is actually nightcore. What I want to know is what would you call those "so-called nightcores" that are not nightcores at all.

It could answer your question. If you had went deeper in the topic, you would find this:

Before calling any of us batshit crazy for doing this, please refer to this thread. Complaints can be made there if you have any, but before you do so, please actually read through the thread. Seriously, cut us all some slack.

*Clicks the link*

*Reads*

The term "speed edit" was used there constantly, so you could guess by reading the whole thread how could you had call them (even better, it would give you the freedom to name them anyway you want, except for Nightcore/Night~stuff~/etc).
We feel the rhythm like it is our heartbeat
Raver

Postby Fernandez » November 13th, 2013, 2:16 am

Raver wrote:The term "speed edit" was used there constantly, so you could guess by reading the whole thread how could you had call them (even better, it would give you the freedom to name them anyway you want, except for Nightcore/Night~stuff~/etc).

So, in a way, are the terms nightcore and the night prefix trademarked?
Fernandez

Postby Raver » November 13th, 2013, 2:33 am

Fernandez wrote:
Raver wrote:The term "speed edit" was used there constantly, so you could guess by reading the whole thread how could you had call them (even better, it would give you the freedom to name them anyway you want, except for Nightcore/Night~stuff~/etc).

So, in a way, are the terms nightcore and the night prefix trademarked?

Raver wrote:This thread is for use on Nightcore Universe ONLY and should be applied to Nightcore Universe ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BEING A MEMBER OF NIGHTCORE UNIVERSE, THIS THREAD DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. None of us condone the use of these posting regulations to annoy, troll, flame, or attempt to dictate videos/uploaders on YouTube -- we kindly ask that you DO NOT use it for such purposes.
Raver

Postby Monster » November 13th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Raver wrote:
Raver wrote:This thread is for use on Nightcore Universe ONLY and should be applied to Nightcore Universe ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BEING A MEMBER OF NIGHTCORE UNIVERSE, THIS THREAD DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. None of us condone the use of these posting regulations to annoy, troll, flame, or attempt to dictate videos/uploaders on YouTube -- we kindly ask that you DO NOT use it for such purposes.

hai

License! Thanks Namahage!

Spoiler: show
Monster

Postby Raver » November 14th, 2013, 1:41 am

wat up
Raver

Postby Monster » November 15th, 2013, 2:12 am

ehh not much what about u?

License! Thanks Namahage!

Spoiler: show
Monster

Postby NewUser » December 29th, 2013, 5:48 am

Question about the description. According to a few minutes of using google, tempo in music terminology is the speed or pace of the music piece. "Very definition of 'speed' is a combination of both tempo and pitch." Speed is a synonym for tempo. I believe this was supposed to refer to the earlier statement as well as how pitch and tempo are linked to each other when it comes to speeding up or down. I am new so I found it to be rather peculiar and I am sorry if this troubles any of you.
NewUser

Postby Fernandez » March 25th, 2014, 4:42 pm

After reading this thread and other threads, I understand better why people here are sometimes quick to call the "nightcore" uploaders on Youtube "ignorant."

Many uploaders on Youtube are not aware of the elaborate, detailed history behind nightcore. They may not have even heard the the original Nightcore group that started it all.

They most likely aren't aware that nightcore has become a distinct style/genre with its own set definition. They probably don't know that nightcore has a somewhat specific procedure that must be followed.

In my opinion, making nightcore can be likened to performing a science experiment. While making nightcore isn't as strict as a science experiment, it's certainly not so freeform that you can use any song you want to.

If an experiment calls for sulfur, you can't say something like "I don't like sulfur since it smells so bad, so I'll use sodium instead." You must use sulfur, otherwise you would be doing the experiment wrong and not get the intended result.

Likewise, the procedure for nightcore calls for certain electronic genres, doesn't it? This means that you can't use something like pop or hip hop, otherwise you'd be doing it wrong. You would not get the result intended by the founding fathers of nightcore.
Fernandez

Postby Raver » March 25th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Fernandez wrote:After reading this thread and other threads, I understand better why people here are sometimes quick to call the "nightcore" uploaders on Youtube "ignorant."

Many uploaders on Youtube are not aware of the elaborate, detailed history behind nightcore. They may not have even heard the the original Nightcore group that started it all.

They most likely aren't aware that nightcore has become a distinct style/genre with its own set definition. They probably don't know that nightcore has a somewhat specific procedure that must be followed.

In my opinion, making nightcore can be likened to performing a science experiment. While making nightcore isn't as strict as a science experiment, it's certainly not so freeform that you can use any song you want to.

If an experiment calls for sulfur, you can't say something like "I don't like sulfur since it smells so bad, so I'll use sodium instead." You must use sulfur, otherwise you would be doing the experiment wrong and not get the intended result.

Likewise, the procedure for nightcore calls for certain electronic genres, doesn't it? This means that you can't use something like pop or hip hop, otherwise you'd be doing it wrong. You would not get the result intended by the founding fathers of nightcore.

You've been thinking a lot about this lol.
Raver

Postby Fernandez » March 25th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Raver wrote:
Fernandez wrote:After reading this thread and other threads, I understand better why people here are sometimes quick to call the "nightcore" uploaders on Youtube "ignorant."

You've been thinking a lot about this lol.

Haha, yeah, I guess so. Is that a bad thing?
Fernandez

Postby Raver » March 26th, 2014, 2:38 am

Nah, it's fine :)
Raver

Postby Watch4FallingRock » May 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I stumbled upon this post in someone's blog:

Finally the fans.... Yes the fans have corrupted Thomas S Nilsen (a.k.a. DJ TNT) and Steffen Ojala Søderholm (a.k.a. DJ SOS) way of producing nightcore. Fans are now creating mixes in R&B, jazz and other forms of genres that they can think of, but then again I suppose that nightcore is aimed at those that are at the ages of 11 - 16 and have an interest in mixing music.

Does anyone know what this post means? It was kinda hard to understand at first glance.
Watch4FallingRock

Postby rsslayersr » May 5th, 2014, 4:17 pm

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultur ... ore#misuse

I looks like a post of someone who speaks up about the wrongly used term 'Nightcore'. Doesn't seem to be hard to understand at first glance at all.
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
rsslayersr

Postby Watch4FallingRock » May 5th, 2014, 11:27 pm

rsslayersr wrote:http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/nightcore#misuse

I looks like a post of someone who speaks up about the wrongly used term 'Nightcore'. Doesn't seem to be hard to understand at first glance at all.

Well, it was for me, but thanks anyway.
Watch4FallingRock

Postby DJ Shaunathan » May 8th, 2014, 7:15 pm

The Original Post is a fantastic definition of what Nightcore is from what I've experienced so far on youtube over the past few years. I've got some questions though.

As it states, Nightcore is a speed edit of an electronic song. What happens if you write a song specifically to the sound characterized by Nightcore? Is it a Nightcore song? Technically it's not an edit, it's a creation. My initial reaction is that now you cross over into Happy Hardcore and other Hard Dance genres. So let's say I write a song, it's pitched up, it's faster, it's hard, dancy, and upbeat. Is it not considered Nightcore for no other reason than it's not an edit?

Any attempt to answer these questions would be appreciated.
DJ Shaunathan

PreviousNext

Return to Nightcore General