Love?

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Love?

Post by GuitarG20 » December 31st, 2010, 5:28 pm

as the title says...this should focus on a few things.

*What do you think a good definition of it is?
*How do you think you discover you are in love?
*How important do you think it is?

I am talking about romantic love here, not platonic love.

I think a good definition of romantic love is: wanting to wake up next to the person in question every day, and spend the rest of your life with them.

I have no clue how you realize that you are in love. I know it's a feeling, but I am not sure how it becomes manifest... I do know that I have thought I was in love before, and have been wrong so...

It's very important. I think the world would not function without it.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
jordesu
Absolute Wasteman
Absolute Wasteman

Re: Love?

Post by jordesu » January 2nd, 2011, 11:27 am

I tried to google it but I didn't get any 'direct' answer.
Although my way would be to just define it would be: To have a deep emotional and physical attraction over someone.
Wolfbrother0

Post by Wolfbrother0 » January 2nd, 2011, 12:46 pm

you can tell love is love if it does not fade has time goes by and is returned in the same. and that I only have eyes for them

Love is a feeling like your whole, that you could forever be with that person, that it make you stronger then if you go at the world alone because you have someone you can deeply trust by your side.

And for my sins as a cat lover and a semi madman, the cutest thing ever.
rebeldancer567

Post by rebeldancer567 » January 22nd, 2011, 12:03 am

I've never been in love before... So heres my guess. Love fills up every feeling of satisfaction you would ever have. It sweeps you off your feet and makes you forget all else.
"Lost in Lies Yet Again-"
"-the passion still remains-"
"-it glows through the aeons-"
"-only to end in misery-"
"-and tears"

Anyone going to Youmacon 2011?
Wolfbrother0

Post by Wolfbrother0 » January 23rd, 2011, 12:45 pm

rebeldancer567 wrote:I've never been in love before... So heres my guess. Love fills up every feeling of satisfaction you would ever have. It sweeps you off your feet and makes you forget all else.
Looks like we have a romanitc, (nothing wrong with that ;) ) I have had a few crushs and that sums them up quite nicely. By the way are you sure you wish to use the words "every feeling of satisfaction you would ever have" that could mean love or lust(vary vary similer but also vary vary diferent)

GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 23rd, 2011, 1:56 pm

Wolfbrother0 wrote:you can tell love is love if it does not fade has time goes by and is returned in the same. and that I only have eyes for them

Love is a feeling like your whole, that you could forever be with that person, that it make you stronger then if you go at the world alone because you have someone you can deeply trust by your side.
personally, I like this answer. I think it fits nicely with mine. Especially the element of trust, which I had forgotten about...
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 4:24 am

I believe the OP opinion is mostly correct. It is wanting to spend your life with them, and trusting them deeply, even if you havent had any experience that requires that you trust them. its one of those things, where you often just know.
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 25th, 2011, 8:18 am

Shogun Urahara wrote:I believe the OP opinion is mostly correct. It is wanting to spend your life with them, and trusting them deeply, even if you havent had any experience that requires that you trust them. its one of those things, where you often just know.
Do you know it though? I think it's something you may not know until you're sure it's there, and you might think it's there when it's really not...
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 25th, 2011, 9:37 am

Ok. Lets get a perspective. You have known someone for years. However, for certain reasons, they were not involved in your life for a year and a half. before they dissapear, you plan on starting a relationship with them. however, they day you plan to, they dissappear. year and a half later, you start talking to them again. within days, you decide to meet up with them. you have fun as friends, for the day. But afterwards, you text them to find out more about their life, including their love life. they catch on, and ask you out. you talk some more, and discover that you both were planning to ask each other out when you met. and remember, this is after years of no contact.
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 25th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Shogun Urahara wrote:Ok. Lets get a perspective. You have known someone for years. However, for certain reasons, they were not involved in your life for a year and a half. before they dissapear, you plan on starting a relationship with them. however, they day you plan to, they dissappear. year and a half later, you start talking to them again. within days, you decide to meet up with them. you have fun as friends, for the day. But afterwards, you text them to find out more about their life, including their love life. they catch on, and ask you out. you talk some more, and discover that you both were planning to ask each other out when you met. and remember, this is after years of no contact.
This has actually happened to me, but more in terms of I found out a year later that the chick I started dating had a crush on me at the same time, and that we could have started dating a year earlier. But I don't think that's love since the crush went away (also the relationship didn't last 2 months and the breakup was mutual.)
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 26th, 2011, 2:31 am

True, that can and does happen. Scientifically, love is just a chemical reaction. Spiritually though, it is much deeper, and more difficult to understand.
Hip

Post by Hip » January 26th, 2011, 12:11 pm

love is just a chemical reaction
In what way ?
Shogun Urahara

Post by Shogun Urahara » January 27th, 2011, 6:24 am

chemicals in the brain react to certain stimuli.
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 28th, 2011, 12:14 am

it is not chemicals that cause love though. chemicals tell your brain things, but they do not overtly obviously tell your brain you're supposed to be in love.
xXMidnightDawnXx

Post by xXMidnightDawnXx » January 28th, 2011, 4:38 am

GuitarG20 wrote:it is not chemicals that cause love though. chemicals tell your brain things, but they do not overtly obviously tell your brain you're supposed to be in love.

no they do u see when u like some one its coz of 2 chemicals hey are Endorphins and Testosterone the Endorphins are the ones that makes u happy and u your brain makes more of when u do something good or something u think is fun like pasting your test or when u start to fall in love Testosterone on the other hand is the "lust chemical" there is more to it then that but they chemicals ppl are talking about however just coz we know why love happens does that make it any less wonderful we after all just because u know whats going on in the brain it does not make the feeling of any less powerful or take any of the magic away from it
GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » January 28th, 2011, 10:48 pm

yeah but see the thing is, I always feel endorphins when i'm with the people I like, but that doesn't necessarily mean i'm in love with them. I am asserting that there is more to love than just the brain chemicals.
Black Cat
Respected Donator
Respected Donator

Post by Black Cat » January 31st, 2011, 4:32 pm

You could say that love is a stronger kind of frendship. Anyone else thinks that this might be... right?
Kittens!
Wolfbrother0

Post by Wolfbrother0 » February 2nd, 2011, 2:09 pm

GuitarG20 wrote:yeah but see the thing is, I always feel endorphins when i'm with the people I like, but that doesn't necessarily mean i'm in love with them. I am asserting that there is more to love than just the brain chemicals.
right, chemicals may have some role but not much you can love friends or family and but not the kind of love at means you want them.

and like black cat says It is a deeper friendship.

GuitarG20
Resident Car Expert

Post by GuitarG20 » February 8th, 2011, 7:10 am

Black Cat wrote:You could say that love is a stronger kind of frendship. Anyone else thinks that this might be... right?
Agreed. But it's a very deep friendship. I mean, when you think about it, what is the normal reaction to being in love with someone for a long time? Getting married. and when you get married you are saying that you'll always be with that person, thereby putting that "friendship" into concrete terms. which means you're ignoring the fact that most friendships flounder and eventually fade away
Trazlo

Post by Trazlo » May 1st, 2011, 5:06 am

I don't think love is something that can be conveyed fully in words.
That's not to say that good verbal descriptions cannot suffice to call to mind the right understanding, but I mean that words cannot explain love to someone who has not experienced it.

Now, I sincerely hope that I do not know what love is because that would imply that I have experienced it, and all of my experiences that I think might have been love (or love-like) have had rather distinct endings that shall never be "rekindled".
I find the notion of losing something that was genuinely "love" to be quite distressing.
Actually, now that I mention it, this line of reasoning suggests that each time I go through a "break-up" I would refine my idealistic notion of love to exclude that experience so that I would not have to rationalize something so distressing.
That motivation opens the line of thought that I might have actually been in love but have since then gone into denial that it was ever love.
And of course, if I were in the habit of dismissing what love actually was as something that "must" not be love, then that would mean I will never find love so long as I remain clueless as to my delusions.
And that would mean I would never truly know love even if it found me, and that I might lose love *again* without ever realizing my mistake.

. . . I don't like this thread. . .
Gracono

Post by Gracono » December 8th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Love is attraction. Chemically every particle of energy seeks wholeness. Atoms tend to bond with other atoms that will complete their outer electron levels easier than other atoms.

Everything is energy. As an energetic soul we all have one perfect mate. That perfect mate...the true soul mate..they are the ones that would balance and complete us as we also would for them.

What love is and feels like on nearly any other level greatly differentiates with each individual.
Monster

Post by Monster » February 24th, 2013, 10:56 pm

"When life leaves us blind,
love keeps us calm."

"May your love never end,
and if you need a friend,
theres a seat here alongside me"

some interesting lyrics from songs.

I think that when it comes down to one thing alone, love is what keeps us going. Fathers love their families and thats what keeps them motivated to work hard enough to recieve a large enough payckeck to feed a family without breaking down and killing themselves out of frustration.

God's love for us has held him back from destroying us, with all the evil that we have in this world.

We all continue to carry out the horrible monotony of our daily lives because someone that we love is waiting for us at home.

I think that love (romantic love) does exist but is very hard to find and it is a vital part of our lives
License! Thanks Namahage!