RC's Musical Diary

Anything and everything that doesn't fit in another section.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Re: RC's Musical dairy

Post by RaveComing » November 30th, 2010, 10:08 pm

30th of November 2010

Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree

Genre/Style : Electronic, Pop / Downtempo

Sadly, the comparison won't ring bells to any of you unless you decide to dig a new artist; Goldfrapp is the electronic equivalent of "Coeur de Pirate", one of the best rock pop downtempo group in Quebec atm. No matter how many people I had the lyrics be read, they all found at least 1 song that profoundly linked to something very emotional that happened in their life. It's not something you'd dance on, but when you're strugling bewteen a full set of emotions, it truely is a good album to listen to. Imo, you don't have to listen the album in a single 42mins (album lenght) listening; just circle trough the songs, one by one, skipping the first 30 secs of intro until you find the track that is right for you. Or, if you can get dampy by making use of certain substances (...) then this album would be an UNBELIEVABLE listening!

4/5

RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Re: RC's Musical Diary

Post by RaveComing » December 6th, 2010, 8:27 am

6th of December 2010

V.A. - Speedball

Geren/Style : Electronic / Speedcore, Gabber, Hardcore

Compilation of 12 artists (and thus 12 different styles), speedball is a good listening to both neophytes and old hands. With tempo ranging between 170 and 230+ each track is a head pounding experiment. For one thing though, it is a commercial release, so if you're looking for REAL gabber kicks... well you've knocked to the wrong door. It has, however, a few beats worth listening too no matter what style of electronic music you're liking; one track would even be revered by uplifting and upbeat trance lovers.

4/5

[EDIT]: Forget what I previously wrote about the kicks being crappy; it was my player that was crappy. These, however, are still commercial kicks.

p.s. I'm presently looking for a good splittercore/terrorcore compilation to help me dig the styles more. PM me if you have any good idea.
RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 8th, 2010, 10:08 pm

8th of December 2010

Blümchen - Best of

Genre/Style : Electronic / Happy hardcore, Eurodance, Europop

Blümchen (meaning Blossom once translated to english) is, with Dune, one of the founder of modern eurodance. Back in the second half of the 90's happy hardcore out of the UK was very akin to eurodance, with soothing lyrics, catchy beat and soft listening bass and kicks. A "best of" of any of those legend of electronic music is worth gold to diggers, fans and audiophiles alike when they can grab a good quality of the release. Pure sound like it's not made nowadays, w/o all the glitchy and scratchy noises you get from modern synths. Music like this won't flam your ears with their heavy pounds or pitched vuvuzela, they'll ram the melody up your brain and down your throat; audio lethality at its best.

5/5

RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » December 16th, 2010, 9:56 pm

16th of December 2010

Manu Militari - Crime d'honneur

Style : Quebec Rap

I often claim to whoever wants to hear it that I don't consider rap as music. After all, there's no melody in rap. I'm also very frustrated at rap writer's uncreativity... lyrics are very often about love, gang wars or drugs. However, I always considered rap as poetry, an American version of opera if you will. My contempary history (mix of history, social psycology and international economy) teacher brang this album in class 2 days ago for one of my classmate. I know that this guy has a very closed mind when it comes to music, you can't make him believe that shit tastes good. So, I got interested in this album and borrowed it myself today. Never had I heard a liberal social critic of our northen-occidental community that seemed so right. The raper's point of view is very objective; you'll either be fully in accord with him or will want to tear his skin from his face and chest. If rap had melody, this album would be a true musical masterpiece.

It talks about war. It talks about prostitution. It talks about religion. It talks about intolerance. It talks about suicide. It talks about petrol.

Truely, Crime d'honneur is an authenthic sagacious audio painting of our overconsuming and uncaring modern society a summit-climbing decadent society born on European's decadency hundreds of years ago.

The lyrics are all in French-Canadian, but anyone who would enjoy having the lyrics translated just have to drop me a pm. Just consider that there's 13 songs on the release, so it would take me a while to translate everything :P

5/5

p.s. So good is the album that I'll go buy it... (me paying for a rap cd... wtf)

RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » January 10th, 2011, 8:39 am

10th of January 2011

White Ring / oOoOO - Roses / Seaww

Genre/Style : Electronic / Witch House, Dark Wave

I don't think I've yet given enough room in my musical library for dark and trippy electronic music. Hailing from Australia, the new Witch House Scene (first release in mid-2000 and became Underground in early 2010) is a dark form of Chillwave (which busted into mainstream due to hella fast growth of popularity) which can rightly be used as ambient music or background music for any creepy school presentation. The melody is usually failry constant, with only 1-2 leads adding up to the main track whilst it's playing. The bass can be found very similar to hip-hop's, just like it can be totally unexistant. Stop-beat and skip-beat -- beat griding -- can also be found in Witch House as the style also draws influence from Dubstep and Noisy Electro. Neverthless, the style still being infant, we might have to wait a tad more before having a good figure of where Witch House will be heading.

White Ring / oOoOO - Roses / Seaww is a Swedish production 45RPM vynil featuring 2 amazing tracks. Roses is the more harder, more "rockier", track on the release, with notables clubby - if darky - basses and plenty of highs. Roses could easily be used to make a transition for almost any Pure Trance mix. Seaww, on the other hand, would serve more as a chilling (understand creepy) background music for a Zombie Armagedon, with the frost bitting at your cheeks and the wind blowing at yoru ears. Effect pedals, a legs from Shoegaze, are present on both of the tracks present on this release as well as many others.

Some might says that Witch House is not a new style in itself rather than a wanna-be; I say that though it is true it ressembles many other musical genres at the moment, a few years of tuning will make it rather unique, a bit like UK Hardcore first had to dessociate from Happy Hardcore and Old School Hardcore.

4/5

RaveComing
ヂュード アイム イーティング チッキン

Post by RaveComing » April 4th, 2011, 1:22 pm

4th of April 2011

Asphyxia - Sense of Decay

Genre/Style : Electronic / EBM, Industrial

Though the French have failed in most of their military enterprise ever since the Caroligien era, they did amazingly succeed at making music. From rock to minimal electronic, from tribal to post hardcore; they do it all, they succeed in every.

Sense of Decay is made of 12 tracks and is only available virtually, either from iTunes, Amazon and Napster or any good p2p network (mediafire anyone?). Maybe it's just me who've been over intoxicated with hardstyle and hardcore lately, but this music does sound new to me, somewhat refreshing. Cool bassline will blend into almost any electro mix whilst heavy synths provides a solid spine for listening on a good sound system.

Oh yeah, screeching voice, so beware if ever you're using crappy earphones (headphones should be alright). Else... lower the volume a bit, it can really hurt your ears.

However the first rule remains same for every single song he might make : Grab and play