For Nightcore discussion in general.
HKO2006

Tags related to nightcore & how to better tag videos

Post by HKO2006 » November 5th, 2015, 9:49 am

Website/tool used: BetterWayToWeb Tag Generator For YouTube
http://www.betterwaytoweb.com/tag-generator-for-youtube

as is 2015/11/5
for nightcore
nightcore, monkey, rock music (film genre), epic (tv genre), edition, rave, special, trance, trance music (musical genre), techno, dance, remix, nightcore (musical group), mat kearney, sooner or later, nightcore five nights at freddy's, mandopony, nightcore edition, survive the night, nightcore version, nightcore remix, nightcore fnaf, nightcore survive the night, nightcore mandopony, lyrics, league of legends (video game), bugs, after, hamster, before, bug, rabbit, television (invention), nightmare, hour, day, bunny, school, mix, electronic
lol for sure, a mix of everything

for nightstep
nightcore, anime, dubstep, dubstep (musical genre), nightstep, mix, remix, vocal, and, 高音質, 1h, drum, good, 1h mix, quality, sound, hd, hq, 720p, bass, hdubstepfellow, hardcore, 1 h mix, 1 h, nightstep 1 hour mix, hour, rave, one, ecchi, trance, drop, core, drum and bass (musical genre), high-definition video (film format), happy, 1 hour mix, techno, trance music (musical genre), dance, music
Surprise to me that a Chinese phase manages to slip into this list of popular tags, 高音質, 高=high, 音=audio, 質=quality, and the list is not a mess of everything, makes sense as it has a much smaller audience

Apart from the tag generating function, the other function is to look up the tags used in existing videos. With this I figured why I had hard time finding certain maikel's videos - the tags are not optimized. TL;DR at bottom.
eg Nightcore - Angel of Darkness, Maikel6311

the tags are
of, angel, nightcore, notmonetized, nightcore 2015, nightcore gaming mix, maikel6311, maikel631, maikel6311 nightcore, notclaimed, nightcore ultimate mix, mix, maikel6311 trance, please, trance mix, nightcore mix, trance 2015, subscribe, nightcore - god is a girl, darkness, nightcore 1 hour mix
The song name 'Angel of Darkness' are separated into 3 tags, instead of sticking together as a single tag. IMO the most important tag, 'nightcore angel of darkness' <-all in one, is missing too. The result of the absents of these crucial tags are obvious, the video ranks below 4 other videos in search result of nightcore angel of darkness on YouTube, despite having much more views than the above two videos.

So what makes the above videos rank higher?

Tags, duh!
Angel of Darkness- Nightcore 10 hours, Tralfazz74

tags
blonddummikaddi, request, lyrics, 10 hours, tenshi, angel of darkness, nightcore
Despite having much less views, only one year old and less like ratio, it ranks higher. All for a simple 'angel of darkness' tag.

So the trick is, if the song is more than one word, tag the whole song name as one tag not separate tags. And add a tag of the nightcore plus the whole song name 'nightcore song name'.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

HKO2006

Re: Tags related to nightcore & how to better tag videos

Post by HKO2006 » October 1st, 2016, 9:46 am

Nightcore - That Night - YouTube
Aug 3, 2011 - Uploaded by Maikel6311

Maikel has just recently used a Python script to overhaul the tags, and this is the video I asked Maikel to improve the taggings. Before the overhaul, the tags are like

Code: Select all

nightcore, that, night, each, word, is, a, single, tag
I guess it was how that tags worked in the old YouTube but now it's possible to have a number of words in a single tag and it made single word tags obsolete, e.g. video with single word tags ranked lower (at least from the exprience of searching for Maikel's videos). Now the Tags are
Nightcore - That Night, Nightcore, Nightcore songs, Nightcore (Musical Group), Eskimo & Icebird feat. Maria Merete - That Night, That Night, Maikel6311, Maikel631, Eskimo & Icebird feat. Maria Merete, Eskimo, Icebird, Maria Merete, Nightcore Maikel6311, Maikel6311 Nightcore, Nightcore Mix, Nightcore Ultimate Mix, Nightcore 1 Hour Mix, Nightcore Gaming Mix, Nightcore 2016, Nightcore 2015, Nightcore 2016 Mix, Nightcore 2015 Mix, Nightcore - God is a Girl,
And it did brought the video from the middle of the second page (2 years ago) to the middle of the first page. Maybe it's YouTube changed it's ranking system or it's the new tags worked.

Nightcore - Fallin' - YouTube
Jan 20, 2011 - Uploaded by Maikel6311

From page 2 (1 year ago) to number 2.

http://www.betterwaytoweb.com/tag-generator-for-youtube as of 20161001
nightcore
nightcore, lyrics, ellie goulding, heroes, scary, nightstep, anime, pop, rock, chara, undertale, music, song, creepy, control, halsey, we could be, love me like you do, svrcina, battlefield, future bass, the chainsmokers ft. halsey, switching vocal mashup, mashup, nightcore switching vocal lyrics, switching vocals lyric nightcore, nightcore lyrics, lyrics nightcore, switching vocals nightcore, nightcore switching vocals, alesso, celldweller, jericho, tove lo
nightstep
nightcore, nightstep, dubstep, remix, bass, hd, anime, music, mix, techno, rave, trance, trance music (musical genre), dance, my, youtube, electronic dance music (musical genre), my songs know what you did in the dark (light em up) (canonical version), core, night, songs, pluggedto nightcore, pluggedtonightcore, to, plugged, plug.dj, nightcore 331, nightcore-331.net, ecchi, 1h mix, 1h, 1 h, 1 hour, drum and bass (musical genre), know, high-definition video (film format), hdubstepfellow, 高音質, hardcore, happy
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

emilemil1

Re: Tags related to nightcore & how to better tag videos

Post by emilemil1 » October 1st, 2016, 10:54 am

It's mostly about quantity, consistency and relevance.

More tags equals more possible search matches.
If your videos all share a common tag, then you are more likely to be prioritized over someone using that tag for the first time.
The more relevant your tags are to the search, the more likely it is to be ranked higher. That also works the other way too, if you have tags that don't relate to a search it will be ranked lower.

Another important factor is tag order. The more specific your tag is (song title, artist name), the closer it should be to the beginning of the list since the first tags have a higher weighting.
Also, single words like 'and' or 'that' have no effect since they are too generic. That is why you shouldn't split up tags unless you have to.

Now this is speculation, but I don't think repeating the same tag with the words in a different order matters, since from my experience it doesn't actually matter in which order you place your words when searching, you get the same results with just tiny differences, unless you match a tag or title/description exactly.

Though, of course the biggest contributor to your search ranking is channel and video popularity, not tags at all ^^